During the first President Trump presidential visit in China the mood was along the lines of promoting bilateral relations. In the closing joint press conference, Trump congratulated Xi on his outstanding status after the last Communist Party national congress where the Xi Jinping Thought was presented.
“Your people are also very proud of you,” President Donald Trump said, adding that Xi’s elevation opened the opportunity for further improving China-US bilateral relations.
Their talks mainly focused into the following key topics:
- Reining in North Korea’s nuclear ambitions
- Narrowing the trade deficit between China and the US
- Containing tensions between China and the US
- Stepping up military ties and ensuring security in the region
- More exchanges between young people
Following the live recording of the joint press conference: